Tuesday 15 December 2009

Using Ubuntu Karmic Koala for remote logging

I've few routers running DD-WRT and OpenWRT in my house, one acting as the main router, another one as AP only and the last one running APRS4R package to gate traffics from APRS/RF to APRS-IS and vice-versa. These routers are running on limited memory and I do need to sometime check the log when some of them suddenly stop working, so logging into the router itself is kind of useless (it will be gone when I restart the router) and added to the problem.

Since I've Ubuntu Karmic Koala running on my LHS, this is the best time to use it fully. One thing that I'm not so sure is, how to enable remote logging. I had Debian Lenny running on my Buffalo LinkStation II before and I didn't need to do anything fancy.. it works out of the box.. but it doesn't seem to be with my current LHS. I searched around the net with even more confusion .. but finally, I found a discussion about the logging system on Karmic .. it is no longer using syslogd but rsyslogd now. Yes, that is it .. so, I went to look for a guide on how to enable remote logging via rsyslogd and found this document:

www.ubuntu.com/system/files/CentralLogging-v4-20090901-03.pdf

Remove the comments for UDP/TCP syslog receptions from /etc/rsyslog.conf and rerun the rsyslog and this seems to solve this problem.

No comments:

Calling MS SQL Stored Procedure from ABAP

One of the few things sometime coming up in your ticket request. Calling stored procedure from ABAP to remote SQL server.  How do we send th...