Sunday 3 October 2010

CarPC - updates

It has been a while since I've wrote about my CarPC setup, up to now, it still not functioning 100% as what I wanted. Anyway, updates on what I've done so far:

1. Failed HD, for some reason, my HD failed on me, its pretty new HD, manufactured in March 2010. So, I've replaced the WD 250GB HD with Hitachi 320GB HD. The Hitachi should be faster since it is running on 7200rpm compared to WD's 3600rpm. I've sent the WD to Singapore and hopefully I'll get a replacement.

2. Added Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 to the setup. I don't have the photo right now, but it is epoxyed to the rearview mirror. Quality wise, not as good as expected, probably because I'm using xvid/mp4 format to save some space. Example of video captured during one of my drive around:



3. Not really a CarPC related but I've modified the EBY701 TFT monitor to do auto-switching for my rearview camera. The mod works as expected but the camera is a bit grainy .. probably because it uses CMOS technology but what do you expect from the camera bought from China in EBay :)

4. My DAB+ module just arrived, along with the DAB/FM antenna. I haven't fix this inside the car but during my test on my desktop PC, I found 15 channels are available but only five that have active broadcast. The FM part seems to be useless when tested on bench but I don't know will it be different when installed in the car. I need to fix the GTI like antenna on the roof first, bought the wrong one, a passive DAB but active FM antenna .. grr.. what to do.. will update with photos when installed.

5. My CarPC setup interferes with my ham rig especially on APRS frequency. I need to move my ham rig to the back of my pickup truck (behind rear passenger's bench/seat). This will hopefully helps reduce the interference and I could have APRS POI back on my Nuvi 350. I still couldn't get PC based APRS to work with the Malaysian map. Will try to make this thing working..

That's all for now.

No comments:

Calling MS SQL Stored Procedure from ABAP

One of the few things sometime coming up in your ticket request. Calling stored procedure from ABAP to remote SQL server.  How do we send th...